Thursday, October 26, 2006

Reflections

I enjoy looking at reflections. I agree with Borges: mirrors make you believe they are gateways to other universes. Windowpanes even more so, as you can see both what lies behind them and, superimposed on that, another place, ghostly, both there and not there. Mannequins with paralytic smiles modelling the season's latest, and at the same time buses and cars and people scurrying in all directions; the warm bustle of a university entrance hall and likewise an open, gray sky, leaves falling from tree branches and a dot in the distance that turns out to be a helicopter.

And then, if you focus, you meet your own eyes, your choices. Perfect imitators, those others, but each different.

Two realities coincide on the reflective surface, and for a few seconds or minutes they are both cordinated. But as soon as we move out of the frame our paths diverge, and while i bend down to tie my shoelace, he's done something totally unexpected, like bumped into a rhinoceros or adjusted his breathing pack in order to take a walk on the surface of his planet.

Maybe he gives me the finger, too, and i just can't see him doing it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola mariano,

gracias por la nota en mi blog. the rest has to be in english for my spanish is still very limited. i have written my first story in spanish on my blog so please check it out.

i enjoy myself here from time to time. university experience has been spoiled, though, by the fact i had to leave flekke. hard to explain. i cant even sort my own thoughts out.

borges is one of the people who help me notice the magic of the world and keep day dreaming. keep dreaming the reality. thanks for the entry mariano.

take care,

grzesiek

Dilly said...

Looking at in the mirror generally makes me a little sad because more often than not I see more of the flaws. Then sometimes I get mortified because I'm sure there's more behind that glass, especially in the dark.

I've tried going through the looking glass more than once, I'm convinced there's another world. But usually I just get a bruised nose.

Tugc said...

i was thinking about reflections today,too..when i was looking at my reflection on a window other than the one i was leaning..and i just wanted to take a photo of it..
If i ever was a photographer, i think the concept of my photos would be the reflections on earth...

Locations of visitors to this page