Thursday, October 19, 2006

The prediction

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but when i got to Guangzhou and attempted to buy the train ticket to Hong Kong, they would not take my money. Somehow it wasn't possible for me to get any until i got to the Hong Kong side, but i couldn't get there without it... So, i stood in the platform, smelly clothes and huge backpack on my shoulder, and explained the situation to some passersby: do you speak english? could you please pay for my ticket, and i will give you back the money as soon as we arrive?

Finally this guy stopped, looked me up and down, asked me a few questions about myself, and agreed to help me.

We started chatting on the train. He was cantonese, 40-something, i guessed. He asked me what i was doing in China, what my occupation was, where i lived... Then it was my turn to ask. He said he worked for some kind of organisation, Maharishi something-or-other. As he talked i realized Maharishi was a new age institution or group: he talked about energies, life lines, predestination... I don't exactly remember, either. This was 15 years ago, after all.

He was helping me, and he didn't seem to be proselitizing, so we had an animated conversation. However, when i tried to ask somewhat critical questions about some of the stuff he said, he didn't seem to like it very much; i figured he'd be happier if i just let him talk, so i only asked enough to keep him going. At some point (i don't know how we got there) he was reading my palm, and that part i remember very well.

He said i am the eldest of three brothers --i am--, he said i was born in march --i was-- and he said i would die in a catastrophe at age 34 --i stared at him.

"Really?" i asked after a couple of seconds.

"Well, one can never be completely sure, but as far as i can tell, yes. There will be a big disaster, and you'll be one of the victims" he said.

"And is there any way i can avoid it?"

"No. [Destiny something or other]"

I was remembering this stuff yesterday afternoon, as it was the 34th birthday of a guy at the uni today. Maybe i should have waited to write about it till i turned 35 myself, but what if that catastrophe gets in the way?

Not that i'm very worried, really. He himself said i shouldn't, and that i'd meet the woman who'd be my wife in the following weeks.

1 comment:

K. said...

Do you generally trust fortune tellers? Because as much as I try not to, their words always stick in my head. Like that chinese guy's words apparently stuck to yours... obviously.
I have been having an "interesting" time with the fortune tellers recently. My mom is so obsessed with me going to medical school after graduation that she keeps on going to those and coming back with the words, "yes, you are going to be a doctor. and your financial issues will be sorted out. and no, you are not going to be a pediatrician, but a surgeon" and so on and so forth... It pisses me off because she is just using it as a source of fake hope, and because she had to travel across the country to hear the same thing yet again!
I don't know how relevant the above is.
In any case, please don't die, you are way too important for all of us.
lots of love,
K

Locations of visitors to this page