Sunday, February 13, 2005

Electronic dictionaries

Once upon a time, a teeny weeny girl was using an electronic dictionary.

I could hear the beep beep of it from downstairs; she had to describe an image and was looking up the words she didn't know. I suppose she had forgotten this was not allowed and, unfortunately, since she was keeping the dictionary in her pocket by the time i entered the room, i wasn't able to say anything. I could see it bulging under the fabric, but since there was probably no bad intention, to ask her to turn her pockets out could have been extremely discorteous and interpreted as lack of trust in her, couldn't it?

Anyways, she wrote a description and read it verbatim. Dear me! I'd not noticed she was doing that! And, unfortunately for her, she had not heard me repeatedly saying in class that that is not allowed, either. So now it turns out i'll have to ask her to do her exam again, tomorrow. Poor thing!

I mean, it'll be another 40 minutes of my time, but how much worse it must be for her! I know how stressful these exams can be for students. I'll apologize to her for the inconvenience; i should have noticed she was reading the text she had written word for word, but was looking at the image myself. I must tell her i didn't realize it till later tonight, when i compared her notes with the recording and noticed they were identical.

Poor, poor baby!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page