Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Absences

I sent this letter to a student today. She said "ouch!", and i felt like a slave driver. Nobody's education should be driven by exams or attendance records, but unfortunately they are.

Hello, Loaira,

I don't know the exact circumstances of your absences, but of course, if you wanted me to know, I suppose you would somehow have informed me by now. So I'll simply proceed (I did meet you once, by chance, in the street, and you told me you'd been sick, but that was over two weeks ago).

Basically, I want to ask you if you're aware that you've missed all your Spanish classes this term (you said to me you'd come to the first, but I checked, and you hadn't). Indeed, I personally think you're mature enough to manage your own work, to decide what you want/need to learn and to catch up with missed classes/homework if you decide it is worth to do so.

Although you haven't told me so with words, your actions make it clear to me that you either think there's no worthwhile material that you need to receive from classes, or that you expect to put a lot of extra effort later to catch up. Even though you may be sick now, in over four weeks you haven't completed one single Spanish assignment. Your absences were very numerous last term, too.

As a teacher, I put much effort and feel a responsibility towards my students. I go out of my way to make myself available to those who show an interest to learn. But, as I have made it clear in class, learning a language requires constancy. If you deem class work dispensable, or if you don't invest the necessary effort, you free me of any responsibility towards you.

Please do or do not come to classes as you see fit, but if you still intend to take the Spanish ab initio exam, make sure that you comply with all IB requirements and do find out when you're scheduled to present your orals and exams. I'll try to help with anything you require of me outside the classroom if I have any free time available, but you know how hectic our days are here, right?

Likewise, I am totally unable to predict a grade for you this term, since you've missed already 25% of classes.

Kindly reply to let me know that you've received this message, Lo.

Marino

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page