Wednesday, November 01, 2006

La Traviata

Here's a fragment of Verdi's La Traviata. The melody has been ringing in my head all day long. Thought it'd be nice to translate it and post it here:

Folly! Folly!
A vane craze this is!
Poor woman,
alone,
abandoned,
in this populous desert they call Paris.
What is there to wait for, anymore?
What must i do?
Just seek pleasure
and perish in the turmoil.
I must be always free,
stumble from joy to joy.
I want my living to flow
through the paths of pleasure.
Both when the day is born and when it dies
enjoyment is always to be found.
To delights always new
must my thought fly.

1 comment:

RIC said...

Wonderful idea, Mariano! Though it would also feel great to read the original lines... They sound so musical, so nice in Italian...
Thanks!

Locations of visitors to this page