Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The gayness of celebrities

Today I read about Ricky Martin coming out. I saw it on bbcmundo, and then read the public letter he wrote on his website. It seems really heartfelt and sincere. The guy explains a little bit the fears that kept him from coming out before, and the reasons that ultimately allowed him to overcome them.

I am happy for him but, like him, I would be happier still if "coming out" didn't exist, if we lived in a society where a celebrity's sexual orientation was never something that could make news.

The fact that it is makes me see what a long way we still have to go, and discourages me a little.

On the other hand, the visibility of people like Martin is one of those things that may just contribute towards reaching the old aim: demystify sexual orientation, let it become a non-issue.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page