Sunday, October 25, 2009

Diary

by Juan José Millás

We must have been some twenty five birds with woman heads (I am telling you right now, this was a dream) and we were flying in an arrow-point formation, the leading post being successively occupied by each of the members of the formation. The replacement happened mechanically, as if the group counted with an internal clock. From the height at which we flew it was possible to make out some sinister-looking cliffs, the edges of which looked like lips. A little further off there was a desert dotted by green blots very distant from each other, populated by grazing animals. Since our eyes were at the front of our faces and not on the sides, like in true birds, we had to turn our neck left and right in order to understand our situation in space.

I knew that I did not belong in that aerial world, but I sensed it was in my interest to pretend, lest I be discovered. Still I ignored whether, in spite of being birds, we spoke (since we had mouths) or tweeted (although we had no beaks). Suddenly the flock began to descend in circles towards a dead camel and I perceived a smell of decay that stirred something in my stomach. I sensed this was a manifestation of hunger, but once we arrived in the ground I did not start eating until other, older birds, opened the animal's belly and brought out its entrails. We acted according to unexplainable norms that were, nevertheless, very efficient, since we all got to eat something, although in different order.

When we had satisfied our hunger one of the birds said "We are leaving". Then I understood that it was possible to speak without seeming suspicious, so I opened my mouth to say something, but out came a squawk that turned all eyes, apprehensive, towards me. Then I woke up, and smartened up. At the office I noticed that my boss had a camel's face and it surprised me that I had not realized it till then. I felt strange among humans as I had before among birds, but I did not say anything, as I ignored whether we spoke there, or barked. After a while the boss started twittering, and I puckered my lips to do the same, but out came a word. They all looked at me with hatred and then I woke up again, etc..

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page