Sunday, September 03, 2006

Poufs

Recently i read the novel "Death Trick", by Richard Stevenson. Here's a short passage:

Bowman lost no time in showing me his winning personality. "Yeah, I've heard of you," he said after I'd introduced myself. "You're the pouf."

"What ever happened to 'pervert'?" I said. "I always liked that one better. It had a nice lubricious ring to it. 'Faggot,' too, I was comfortable with. The word had a defiant edge that I liked. 'Fairy' wasn't bad--it made us seem weak, which was misleading, but also a bit magical, which was wrong, too, but still okay. 'Pouf,' on the other hand, I never went for. It made us sound as if we were about to disappear. Which we aren't."

2 comments:

...The eyes of the world said...

That reminds me of the quote by Foucault:
"There is object proof that homosexuality is more interesting than heterosexuality. It's that one knows a considerable number of heterosexuals who would wish to become homosexuals, whereas one knows very few homosexuals who would really like to become heterosexuals."

Tugc said...

Mariano,
i am taking spanish classes again.. I decided that i might be doing a minor in spanish..
How is life going over there?

Locations of visitors to this page