Thursday, September 14, 2006

Lånekasse deals

It turns out that if you've worked a minimum of two years in Norway and you then decide to go back to school, you have the right to ask the state for a loan of up to 5000 kroner per month, and a stipend of 3000 kr per month. This is as much as the brochures said; also, according to them, the stipend doesn't need to be payed back ever, as long as you complete whatever course or career you're studying.

Super smart little me reasoned like this: "I'd like to avoid running a debt; since i have saved some $ these past few years, i'll only ask for the stipend, and pay the rest of expenses from my own pocket."

Pretty logical, right? Well, i've just found out that i've been awarded the money i asked for... But as a loan. Apparently, you don't get the stipend money until after you've asked for all the loan money.

Is that dumb or what? I mean, i could very well have asked for the full 8000, put the loan bit aside, untouched, to pay back as soon as i'm done studying, and then use those 3000. Instead, not only don't i get the 3000 i was counting on not to have to eat up all my savings, but now i have the worry of having to pay back afterwards...

Basically, by being set up like this the system seems to ask that you squeeze it to the maximum, or that people be dishonest. All right, so i have the means to pay for my own studies, because i have some savings. Should i be left penniless because of that? On the other hand, i see students here (most of them younger than me, granted) and they get the full deal... Plus their parents help them out quite a bit.

I'm looking for a part time job to do on weekends (gonna have to put a little more effort in that!) but of course, since my norwegian is not still quite as good as i'd like it to, it's gonna be tougher...

Oh well, i'll figure something out. I suppose from a certain point of view it does make sense not to pay a stipend to someone until they've taken a loan. Norwegian students do end up paying back their loans for years after they're done studying.

I won't take the deal, and get that job instead. Shikata ga nai!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page