Thursday, January 06, 2005

Mar adentro

Tonight i saw Mar Adentro, a film by Alejandro AmenĂ¡bar, in which Javier Bardem plays a quadraplegic man who wants to die. The story is supposedly based on real facts and the movie is done with great care and sensibility. Bardem's acting is simply amazing.

Maika, Anka, Albo, Alejo, Inken and Marla were here, watching it with me. Our eyes were red and shiny by the time credits started rolling, and Maika was sobbing openly. I love how she really lets go this way, even in public. I somehow can't.

On a different note, i must now report that 32 years ago tonight my parents were getting married. I just phoned them now: my aunt Ignacia (mom's older sister) and my brothers Sandro and Leandro were there with them. My brothers had just come back from ploughing and my aunt reported they were "all red and ruddy". My mom was making her special sandwiches, with roquefort and olives and roasted bell peppers. My dad (67 years old!) was joking about how he and my mom were going to celebrate tonight after visitors left, and we were all laughing...

I wonder, could they have forecasted these 11 minutes speaking over the open mike, 32 years ago? Could they have counted on such shiny moments of unpreposessing bliss?

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page