Friday, April 16, 2010

7:02

It's 7:02 am, and i have to get up to attend a Global Concerns session on education. I hope i hear something in it to enrich or change my views about it, or to inspire me to get involved in changing the educational system somewhere. I doubt it, though.

My point of view now is that education should be much more individually tailored. People should have their interests discovered and stimulated from the tenderest age, and then elementary skills should be taught to them in function of those interests, and in the order that the development of those interests allows and/or requires. This should apply particularly to that set of skills necessary to be able to function in a society.

It is an inescapable reality that such a set must exist, but young people would have an easier time learning them if they could always keep in sight how these skills are necessary to develop their passions.

......

But what if someone does not have any passions?, asks the skeptic.

Well, the majority of passion-deprived people I have met (which is the majority of the people I have met, including me), seem to have arrived there by being told their true dreams are unachievable. Our passions lay abandoned by the roadside, like forgotten toys. We were made to believe toys is all they were.

I wanted to be an astronaut.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page