Wednesday, December 17, 2008

La Compiuta Donzella (1250? - 1300?)

Not much is know of this poet; even her real name is lost. "Compiuta Donzella" means simply "Accomplished Maiden". She wrote in Toscanian dialect, which was later to became Italian, sometime during the second half of the XIIIth century. This sonet begins sweet, talking about lovers in spring. Then, on the eighth verse, it adds sadness to the sweetness.

A la stagion che il mondo foglia e fiora,
Accresce gioia a tutti i fini amanti,
Vanno insieme alli giardini allora
Che gli augelletti fanno dolci canti,
La franca gente tutta s'innamora,
Ed in servir ciascun traggesi innanti,
Ed ogni damigella in gioi' dimora.
A me n'abbondan marrimenti e pianti.
Chè lo mio padre m'ha messa in errore,
E tienimi sovente in forte doglia:
Donar mi vuole, a mia forza, signore.
Ed io di ciò non ho disio nè voglia,
E in gran tormento vivo a tutte l'ore:
Però non mi rallegra fior nè foglia.

During the season when the world leafs and flowers,
It brings joy to all pure lovers,
They go together to the gardens whenever
Little birds make sweet songs,
All free-hearted people fall in love
And every man brings himself forward to serve,
And every maiden lives in joy.
Except for me, for whom miseries and tears abound.
For my father has put me in a quandary,
And often keeps me in terrible pain:
He wants to give me, against my will, a husband.
And I for such have neither wish nor want,
And in great torment live I at all hours:
Thus, neither flower nor leaf gladden me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leer el mundo blog, bastante bueno

Jonathan said...

Mariano! I am currently madly studying Italian lyric poetry; I have to research la Compiuta Donzella and guess what google throws me up? "This blog seems familiar..." - I recognised that snow-laden bench at the top of the page.

I hope you're still doing well and having fun. I'm in my final year of university studying Italian and Norwegian. I have very fond memories of you teaching us Spanish, and I even remember a bit of it!

MARIANO said...

Jonathan!
Fond memories on this side, too!
Am glad to read you're studying Italian poetry -- that absolutely makes up for you having forgotten all but a bit of your Spanish!
Best wishes,

Anonymous said...

I'm not publishing this in wellness and wellness as there is no chance for comments in that category at this time, and I want to be in a position to add a comment later regarding his condition.

Look at my site flex belt reviews

Locations of visitors to this page